We have listed the key points at the head of this page - please do scroll down and read the detail. We are looking for "Regional Champions" to help develop the club - please email (with a phone number and location) if you are interested.
Key points :
- Over 350 expressions of interest
- Limited by Guarantee Company has been formed
- Constitution, policies etc at advanced draft stage
- Membership at a modest annual cost
- Add-on personal insurance option negotiated
- Funds from membership to meet the modest running costs
- Touring Cyclist Club will be run entirely by unpaid volunteers.
- Seeking “Regional Champions”
- things are taking a little longer than we had hoped
The details :
- Over 350 expressions of interest have been received together with lots of ideas for what we should do, and not do.
- Ideas are being analysed to provide the basis for the club’s operation to meet the interests of the members.
- A Limited by Guarantee Company (Touring Cyclist Club Limited) has been formed as a legal entity with a Memorandum and Articles of Association
- The Constitution is being drafted by a Chartered Secretary together with operating policies - all at an advanced stage
- A plan for membership has been drawn up with a nominal annual cost on a simple per member basis (one person = one membership, no “joint” or “family” memberships) and an optional add-on personal insurance product. All managed online.
- Funds from membership to meet the modest running costs, primarily the website and promotional activity and materials.
- The Touring Cyclist Club will, for the foreseeable future, be run entirely by unpaid volunteers.
- We are seeking “Regional Champions” to help with the development and management of the club - the regions will be based on the “standard economic regions” (i.e. pretty much the top-level regions that the BBC News uses) If you are interested to become a Regional Champion please email us with a phone number and location.
- The website and Forum have been set up ready to be populated with cycle touring content
- Marketing and promotion plans have been formed, to move ahead as soon as the Constitution and legal stuff is finalised.
- Annual membership at nominal cost (<£5.00) - all managed online
- Add-on personal insurance option at ~£10.00 per annum
- Website access to both public and member-only content
- Forum access to both public and member-only content
- The opportunity to put forward your ideas in a democratic club environment
- The opportunity to be part of potential regional groups with like-minded riders
What will NOT be in the offer at launch:
- A printed magazine - the probability is that the website design will incorporate at a “magazine style” area of content
- Insurances other then the add-on policy for individuals. The “legal aid” type of cover is included in most household policies and “no win, no fee” insurance is a widely available commodity
The update details have been emailed to everyone that has expressed an interest and sent ideas - it has also been published on the Forum at Touring Cyclist Club
The Touring Cyclist Club will, for the foreseeable future, be run entirely by unpaid volunteers who are keen to carry on the tradition of cycle touring unhindered by the baggage of politics. Funds from membership, and possibly website and other advertising revenues, will be used to meet the modest costs of running the website and administration as well as promotion costs.
We expect to make further announcements and be moving forward with membership within about six weeks.
Please do have your say!
Rob & Dennis
Founders, Touring Cyclist Club